Saturday 10 September 2005

Back to work


Phew! I managed to survive the first week back at work. The kids weren’t too bad, although some of the girls did exclaim loudly when they saw how my stomach had grown! I’ve been inundated with questions about the sex of the baby, mainly from the girls, but decided that I’d keep them guessing for a while.
I’ve had to ask for a new chair as I can’t teach standing up, I’ve discovered. By the end of the day, if I do, my stomach is really tender and all I can do for the rest of the day is lie with my feet up. So, I’m getting a new one that can rise up to about 80cm, which should be high enough to sit on and teach. Of course, once the order is placed, it will take another 2 weeks before it arrives. I’m not sure what I’m going to do in the interim, but I will definitely have to ask my TA’s to do more running around in the class, as well as setting more individual work from laptops or textbooks, rather than practicals, so that I can get a chance to sit down during lessons.
The other complication this week was that I’ve developed cystitis. Fortunately, because I’d had it before, I caught it early on and put myself onto a fluids regime that immediately improved it. I also went to see the doc, who’s put me on antibiotics. Joy. Actually, there’s an embarrassing story to go with that….
I was about 15 minutes late for the GP appointment and our surgery has a rule that if you’re more than 10 mins late you have to re-book your appointment. I was already stressed from teaching that day, and then even more stressed by being late. When I got there I told the receptionist that I’d be happy to wait till 6pm but that I absolutely had to see the GP that day, because I was pregnant, blah, blah, blah… 10 minutes later, I’m in with the doc. We get sorted, he gives me the ‘scrip’, which includes a ‘scrip’ for antacid (BOY! has my indigestion been bad of late!!).
Off I go to the chemist, get my stuff, and the woman behind the counter asks if I want a bag. No, says me, because that adds to waste and pollution, and it’s only 2 items and I have 2 hands. Of course, I say this politely! I get in the car, drive home, get out of the car, and promptly drop the antacid bottle, which is glass, and it shatters all over the pavement.
So, back on the phone to the surgery – I need another ‘scrip’ for the antacid. Why? I’ve dropped the bottle and it shattered. OK – come back before we close. Off I go, about an hour later to get the ‘scrip’. As I walk in, the receptionist takes one look at me and says, in a nice loud voice, so everyone in reception can hear, ‘you’re the woman who was late for her appointment and then dropped the antacid bottle’, and laughs. Yes, I smile sheepishly, that would be me. Sorry, she says, your ‘scrip’ still isn’t ready, you’re going to have to wait. So I sit and wait. About 15 mins later, I get my ‘scrip’.
Back to the chemist – where the pharmacist looks at the ‘scrip’, looks at me, and says – ‘But I just gave you one!’ Yes, says me, feeling even smaller, but I dropped it and it broke! He laughs, uproariously, knowing that I’d refused a bag the last time, hands the bottle to another woman behind the counter and says – ‘Give that woman a bag, otherwise she’ll drop it again!’
Sigh! At least I got it home in one piece that time….
The happy ending to this story is that I’m feeling better all round.
But before you think all is rosy in the garden of this pregnancy… I’ve now got leg cramps at night, which no-one seems to mention, but is apparently very common. (Why do you always hear women talk about how wonderful pregnancy is once you get past the morning sickness, when my experience has been that it’s full of really annoying aches, pains and complications?) Last night I woke up with such bad cramps I cried, and my tolerance level for that type of pain is not low! I had cramps on both sides of the same leg, and down into my foot, so couldn’t stretch either cramp out properly. Now, a good 8 hours later, my calf muscle is still aching.
So – in addition to my fluids regime, my course of antibiotics and my antacid regime, I’m now putting myself on a Calcium, Vit D, Magnesium and Sodium regime to try to alleviate THAT problem.
Still, I suppose I shouldn’t complain – when I see the images of the people in New Orleans, when I think about those still affected by the tsunami, when I think of the genocide still being perpetrated in Burundi and Rwanda and Sudan, when I think of the atrocities being committed in Zimbabwe, what’s a little cramp, eh? Kind of puts it all into perspective, doesn’t it? I have a wonderful husband, a lovely home, a good job, food on the table, clothes in the cupboard, my family and friends are healthy, my baby is growing well and I can worship in freedom – I’m richly blessed by God! I really shouldn’t complain.
Nicole

No comments: