Friday 28 October 2005

30 weeks and counting


The pic is a bit out-dated. It was taken in week 26, and I’m now in week 30, but it gives you an idea of the size I’ve become!
I read recently that as we near the end I need to keep an eye on how frequently the baby kicks – anything less than 10 times in 12 hours and we have a problem. Needless to say, no sooner did I start trying to count, than she went through a VERY quiet phase, and I started to panic quietly to myself. However, she soon picked up again and has been VERY active since.
At the moment she seems to be lying diagonally across my stomach – one end up under my ribs and the other pushing down into my pelvic area. Because she’s getting so big now, when she turns you can actually see a wave across my belly – it’s like watching a tsunami wave before it reaches the beach: you have no idea just from watching it of the power beneath the surface!! Most of the time now, when she’s kicking, it’s incredibly uncomfortable and frequently quite sore – especially when she kicks up into my ribs and lungs.
Again, because she’s getting so large, I’m finding my lung space dramatically reduced, so I’m finding even little tasks take far more energy than previously simply because I can’t get enough air. In terms of teaching, that means that I no longer have the lung capacity to yell at kids! I’m sure they appreciate it, but it is really handy to be able to yell when you need to – particularly in emergencies where they are in danger!
I’ve only got another 7 weeks left at work. It feels like an eternity, but I’m sure it will pass quickly enough. I’d love to start maternity leave sooner, but then that means I’d have less time at home after the birth, which is more important to me. So I guess I’ll have to just slow down and pace myself to ensure I can make it at work till then!
Nicole

No comments: