Wednesday 6 July 2005

Surprises and frustrations


My head at school announced my pregnancy to the staff yesterday. I was suprised by the different responses people had towards me. Staff I hardly know were wanting to hug me (uh… personal space?? hello?? You’re still a stranger!) and pat my tummy (hmm… there’s nothing there to see yet!!! apart from my pre-existing fatness, and I don’t want you patting THAT, thank you!). Others were genuinely shocked (they had not put 2 and 2 together, clearly – the signs were there to read for those who cared to notice), but absolutely thrilled for me, which was nice; left me with a warm fuzzy feeling towards them.
I guess I’m going to have to start getting used to complete strangers coming up and wanting to rub and pat my tummy. I mean, friends is one thing, but strangers is a completely different ball game! After all, it’s my body and my personal space, and I haven’t invited them to get intimate with me. Right? I think I’m either going to wind up being really rude to a lot of people, or really angry with suppressed frustration because I’m determined not to be rude to people. Sigh!
On the tube today, as I was coming home, it got quite hot (either it was really hot, or else I was just feeling it more than everyone else, or a bit of both). I started to feel really faint, and found myself getting angry with men who were sitting in the priority seats, while I was standing. I had to keep reminding myself that since I don’t have a tummy I can’t expect them to mind-read that I’m pregnant. (Even then, many Londoners are not gracious and won’t give up seats on the tube.) There should be some sort of badge that ante-natal clinics hand out to women in the early stages of their pregnancy that they can wear to identify themselves so that others can be considerate towards them, don’t you think?
I’ve been utterly amazed at the response we’ve had from people to deciding to use the blog to communicate! I’m really pleased that so many of you seem to think this is a good idea and that it will be better than email. We aim to please!
Anyway, those are my surprises and frustrations for the day, for what they’re worth.
Nicole

No comments: