Tuesday 26 July 2005

Bumpity bump


Yesterday was the first time someone told me I was starting to “bloom”. I wasn’t sure how to respond, since I hardly feel like I’m blooming. This past week I’ve had almost daily headaches (I think I need new glasses) and I’ve been getting the most incredibly painful muscle spasms in my lower abdomen, so much so I went to see my GP.
Turns out that it’s all hayfever related (although my hayfever has been really mild at the moment). I’ve merely strained the muscles in my abdomen wall as a result of all the coughing I’ve been doing (hasn’t let up since I had my cold). She prescribed some stuff which should start helping shortly, I hope, but I have to take it for 6 weeks, which I’m not too thrilled about.
Of course, having strained my stomach muscles, I really can’t lift anything – even light stuff hurts, which means that, while I can pack for our move (only 10 days to go, only 10 days to go!!), I’m now legitimately unable to carry anything. (Hee hee! You have to take pleasure in the little things!)
However, on the up side, my bump has suddenly turned decidely (small!) bump shaped, rather than just being a redistribution of my fat layers! I now feel legitimately pregnant, rather than just fat. Actually, having weighed myself, I haven’t put on any weight in the past 4 months (can you believe we’re that far already??), which rather surprised me, given how massively huge and unattractive I’ve been feeling. I had thought I would pick up 2 kg’s by now, but not so!
The kids at school all found out today, and I was given a round of applause in assembly… and the first comment one of my mentees asked (in a rather plaintive tone) was, “But who will be our mentor next year then???” (all together now….. ag, shame!) Again, I’ve been surprised by how excited they are for me – they’re only little, yet somehow most of them instinctively understand what a big deal this is. Rather touching, really.
Nicole

No comments: