Sunday 3 July 2005

First scan


Graeme and I went for the first scan on Friday. WOW!!!
I’d been having these irrational fears that this pregnancy thing was all in my head and that when we got there, there’d be nothing to see. Completely irrational, but there you are.
To see our baby’s little heart beating, to see his/her little hands, and feet, and ears, and nose, and brain…. there are no words really to describe it. Conception and the start of a new life – it’s a miracle. How else can you describe this amazing process?
Even at 13 weeks, our baby already has all it’s major internal organs and from now on it’s just a process of growing and developing them to full capacity. Wow!
Needless to say, I cried for joy.
Now that it’s real, we have to start the process of choosing names in earnest. I guess it would help if we could figure out what surname to give it. No doubt there will be arguments about that too. So we went shopping for a baby names book today, and already the disagreements about naming has begun. Family name or not? Biblical? African? Afrikaans? Irish? Still, we have another 7 weeks till we can find out the sex of the baby.
Actually, we’re not too sure whether we want to know or not. There are pro’s and con’s both ways. The main pro is that you can start to build a real relationship with it – not having to call it ‘it’ all the time. The main con is that you won’t have the surprise at the end of all the pushing and pain!
General progress is good. The tiredness is starting to improve, although I’ve discovered how quickly I tire now. I think I’m going to hate how incapacitated I’m going to become – can’t do long walks, can’t go up stairs, can’t carry stuff…. The nausea is still with me, although it too is better than a few weeks back. While everyone assures me it will pass, I think I’ll believe it when I see it!
Still, when I look at the photo of our little baby, somehow, all the illness and tiredness seems managable – after all, it’s a tough job growing a brand new body from scratch!
Nicole

No comments: